Wednesday 12 June 2013

Indie Go!


 

Today, the Republic of the Philippines celebrate(s) its' 125th Independence Day! I never really felt the festive and patriotic vibe of this holiday. Apart from few ceremonies involving the elite and the government guys, all fancy looking in their pineapple fibre shirts and butterfly sleeved gowns. Why? Maybe because we, the Filipinos are rather used to being dependent. Most might disagree with my opinion, but hey, when was the last time you actually supported local products? Okay, Oxygen and Artwork maybe Filipino, but it's made in China! I mean, I've always promoted buying local goods, even apparels: Robertson, Guitar and Advan are few of the brands that I personally like. 

INDIE GO ::  
Top GUITAR Jeans 'Made in The Philippines' 
Slip ons ROBERTSON Accessories BOMO




 In the photoset above, I'm wearing local Filipino produced clothes, yes (except the jacket). The labels doesn't say 'Fabrique en Chine' or 'Made in Bangladesh', it proudly states and with grammatically-correct tag saying 'Made in The Philippines'. Not only that I supported my fellow countrymen by patronising their work, I was able to save a lot of money too; good for the Filipino economy and my personal financial situation (back then). 

Now that I live in Australia, I still look forward for the day for Filipino brands to emerge; and not outsourcing its materials and labour from overseas. To give a sense of pride for people, and that local products are good, if not better than their 'imported' counterparts.

I just love how dynamic the flag has evolved. I kid. Style!

From our semi-independence in 1898, the American 'assistance era' to the Japanese liberation: let us value our true identity, and stop looking at our better companions. We are good, we are a product of a good mix, and thus, we have created our unique, quirky character and culture out of it.

Try to revere this privilege, and cultivate it! Happy Independence Day!

x :: L

No comments :

Post a Comment